Benefits of the Incident and Accident Investigation Training
This course will give your staff and managers the skills they need to carry out non-technical investigations of incidents in their workplace. These skills will be even more effective when the individuals are formed into teams with technical skills, such as engineering.
The course focuses on helping your investigators understand how to identify the root causes of incidents, and also that the root causes of health and safety incidents are often the same root causes of quality defects, breakdowns, production delays, and other, wider, organisational problems.
Incident investigation is a transferable skill, meaning that the skills developed in this course will also be of use during other types of investigation e.g. disciplinaries, grievances, quality defects, complaints, etc.
From a wider viewpoint, this course has proven useful in helping reinforce a positive health and safety culture within organisations, by emphasising the value to the organisation of rectifying the root causes of incidents and how this can support the organisation’s growth.
- Benefits of Incident and Accident Investigation
- HSE Guidance on levels of Investigations
- Qualities of a Good Investigation
- Human Factors and they contribute to Incidents
- Introduction to the 5 Whys Root Cause Analysis technique
- The Steps to Incident Investigation
- Begin the Hands-On Investigation Exercise
- Gather information – identify suitable evidence to collect and go through it
- Analyse the Findings – using the 5 Whys method
Interviewing witnesses, following the PEACE model
- Identifying Risk Control Measures
- The Action Plan and its Implementation
The delegates will:
- Receive a real accident/injury report
- Decide what evidence to gather
- Trawl through that evidence looking for clues for the causes
- Carry out a 5 Whys Analysis of the Incident
- Take part in or observe a witness interview
- Establish the underlying and root causes of the incident
- Decide on additional risk controls
- Create an Action Plan
To enquire about having this course delivered to your teams, please contact us:
“Having completed a lot of health and safety eLearning courses over the years I found this to be the most informative but entertaining at the same time. My interest was held throughout the IOSH Managing Safely course. By being involved, constantly in actually doing something, I learnt more quickly and absorbed the content at all times.”